Our Safe Working at Heights Course
Safe Working at Heights
Contour Training offers Safe Working at Heights courses accredited by NPORS or Lantra. Anyone required to work at height should also receive adequate and appropriate training in how to safely perform their duties. This course is designed as a safe introduction to working at heights and the common hazards and risks associated with such work.
We often combine this half-day course with the NPORS half-day Harness Safety Awareness course.
Contour Training’s industry experience includes working with both public and private sector, construction and utility sectors, government organisations, local authorities, MOD and conservation groups. We have some of the most experienced Lantra Awards and NPORS trainers in the UK, many of whom are also highly experienced with all types of all-terrain vehicles.
The Work at Height regulations 2005 came into effect on 6th April 2005. The regulations apply to all work at height where there is a risk of a fall liable to cause personal injury. They place duties on employers, the self-employed and any person that controls the work of others (eg facilities managers or building owners who may contract others to work at height).
Given the nature of the potentially hazardous work undertaken by operatives working at height, a methodology of assessment that ensures the learner is occupationally competent has been designed.
As part of the regulations, duty holders must ensure:
- That all working at heights is properly planned and organised
- Those involved in working at heights are competent
- The risks from working at heights are assessed and appropriate work equipment is selected and used
- The risks from fragile surfaces are properly controlled
- Equipment for working at heights is properly inspected and maintained
Working at Heights Training Course Content
Duration: Half – 1 day
Maximum delegates: 10
Awarding bodies: NPORS, Lantra Awards
This qualification has been designed for individuals to develop their knowledge, understanding and skills for working at height and will enable them to work safely, effectively and efficiently in the workplace.
This qualification will be suitable for those currently in employment looking to enhance/update their skills and is also designed for those looking to progress into work and develop their career.
At the end of the session the learner will:
- Know the definition of working at height
- Know which tasks to complete, or which may be completed, where they will be classified as working at height
- Know the Health & Safety regulatory framework, which applies when working at height
- Understand the impact of the Health and Safety executive on working at height
- Know safe working practices for working at height
- Be able to identify, assess and mitigate hazards and risks when working at height
- Identify common causes of accidents
- Understand how an accident might impact their life
- Understand when a ladder is an appropriate choice for the job
- Understand how to use a ladder safely
- Understand how to assess a ladder before and during use
- Understand basic concepts of safety around MEWPs
- Understand basic concepts of safety around scaffolding
- Know the various kinds of working at height specific PPE
- Know truth from fact when working at height
- Know what to do and what not to do when working at height
- Create an action plan which is relevant to their current or future place of work.